LAW OFFICE OF                                 SHAWN DICKERSON


Hot Topics

How can I relocate with my child?

How can I relocate with my child?

At some point, you may consider moving due to a new job, the desire to be closer to family, or financial circumstances. It is a very difficult decision to relocate with your child. Our office specializes in these types of matters. We will tell you exactly what to do next to get the best possible outcome.  We offer an affordable solution to your move away matter.  To get help, call our office or initiate a chat using the chat box below.

Move aways are complicated and can be emotionally confusing to the child.  If the parents cannot agree, then it will be decided by a judge once the custodial parent files the appropriate paperwork.  The court must consider the child’s best interest in the move, not the parent. Under the law, children 14 years of age or older must be allowed to testify if they wish. These children may indicate their preference as to which parent they choose to live with.

There are many factors that the court will consider when ruling on a move away request.  The consider the age of the child, the child’s relationship with each parent, the distance of the move, the reasons for the move, among other things.  There are no clear cut rules and the judge must consider each situation carefully.

There is only one way to guarantee the best outcome for your situation. Call our office today or contact us online.

Shawn DickersonComment